Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pseudo-Intellectual Coffee Drinkers...

...like myself.

Yeah, I'll admit it. Part of the reason that I started coming to coffee houses was to get a feel for the culture. I wanted to be part of the seemingly intense atmosphere of learning, knowing, and caffeine that surrounded everyone there.

But then again...I didn't try to act like I already knew it.

Am I being too picky here?

I came into Cornerstone, here, today at around 2:30 PM. It's a crappy looking day outside, and a nicer looking day inside my mind (where I ride my motorcycle for 24 hours straight, and then write for 6 hours afterward). Since there were no available spots left to sit, I decided to take the comfy chair at the far end from the door. I began to work on a few journal entries -- responses to articles in Esquire -- when a guy, that looked to be about 23, came in.

He pulled out his iPod and new Dell laptop (as I am now typing on), and put in his earbuds. He was fine for a bit. Didn't bother anyone at all. Then, he pulled out the cell phone. The goddamn cell phone. Was that necessary, man?

It wasn't the fact that he had the cell phone out. But more the fact that he was talking so loud to his 'buddy' on the other end about how his only unending thoughts on suicide, and how he wanted to commit the heinous act.

After that lengthy conversation, he continued to listen to his muic -- which, thankfully, I couldn't hear. The only point at which I could hear it was when he was singing it, himself. The louder whispers were quite obviously meant for everyone else in the cafe to hear. Too bad he wasn't a good singer.

Oh well.



I'm talking too much. Allow me to step away from the soapbox.



Have a good day, folks.

1 comment:

dddragon said...

some coffeehouses are more intellectual than others. The Cornerstone has a decidely different crowd on different days and different times.

I find it interesting that someone comes to a coffeehouse to isolate himself with an ipod, pc and have a highly personal cellphone conversation.