Sunday, January 18, 2009

In the mornings, or anytime during practice, or all day actually...

All Bodhisattvas make a commitment, that was originally written by Shantideva in the Bodhicharyavatara:

For as long as space endures,
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I too abide,
To dispel the miseries of the world.


And every morning, Bodhisattvas say this. They fully and completely practice this with every action they make, move, speak, do.

If I were even close to such a highly realized being, then I would be able to benefit beings continuously. But I'm not even close to that state. And while the Bodhisattva path starts at the beginning, and we begin to generate this 'aspirational bodhicitta' -- the aspirational mind of enlightenment -- it is difficult for us to help beings right at this point. So, we can only make that aspiration.

I promise that every action I take, every word I speak, and every thought that arises from the pristine nature of mind, I will help sentient beings to the extent that I can.


May we all be free,
completely liberated,
gone beyond,
and may we all reach the other shore together.


Much love,

Rob

No comments: